Monday, August 21, 2006

LENNY WOLFENSON

When Lenny Wolfenson and I were in the 3rd Grade, he wanted nothing more than for me to be his girlfriend.

I didn't want to be tied down.

He pursued me relentlessly and even tried to sweep me off my feet by telling me he had an invention at home that could make people fly. I believed him. I kept asking him to bring it to school and he kept promising me he would. But he never did.

(This could explain my current proclivity towards Richard Branson.)

I was very tempted to be his girlfriend because I really wanted to be able to fly and Lenny also had a Beatles haircut, but my best friend Robin advised me not to get involved. I know she was jealous but she was my best friend so I listened to her.

I said, "No" to Lenny, and in celebration of my decision not to commit, Robin and I danced gleefully around a big oak tree in Riverside Park during recess singing the musical number "Free" from A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To The Forum. We knew all the lyrics - well Robin did, because her stepfather was in the Broadway production and she had seen the show so many times. I had the record.

Then for 4th Grade I went to another school and I never saw Lenny Wolfenson again, but I've thought alot about him over the past 40 years. I even tried to find him on the Internet but I have absolutely no idea where he went after the 3rd Grade.

I wanted to tell him that I made a mistake. I should have agreed to be his girlfriend. Up until the 3rd Grade no boy had ever pursued me so fervently - and none has since then. I would have been able to fly all around New York City high above my classmates and spit on them if I wanted to.

Several years ago I had a boyfriend with a pilot's license and his own plane. It was fun to fly with him, but it wasn't the same as I imagined it would be to fly on my own - without the plane...without him...

Anyway, that's all I have to say...except maybe one more thing...

Hey Lenny - if you're out there somewhere...and you happen to be reading this...I want you to know...

I'm still available.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home